Friday, March 27, 2009

REVIEW: Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Club Dead coverSeries: Sookie Stackouse #3
Genre: Paranormal Fiction
Pub Date: April 2003, Ace Books
Format: Mass Market, 272 pages
Source/FTC Disclosure: I purchased my copy of this book. I was in no way compensated for this review and my opinions are my own.
Sookie Stackhouse is having man trouble. Her vampire boyfriend, Bill, has been distant and inattentive lately. Then he announces that he is going on a business trip, which clearly is more than it seems. After a werewolf tries to abduct Sookie at work, Bill's boss, Eric, tells her that Bill fell under the sway of his--Bill's, that is--ex, a sexy vamp named Lorena, and has been kidnapped. Eric wants Sookie's help in getting Bill back, and despite her hurt over Bill's betrayal, Sookie agrees to go to Jackson, Mississippi, to find her wayward lover. Eric has persuaded Alcide, a dashing werewolf, to get Sookie access to Josephine's, aka Club Dead, the local hangout of Jackson's supernatural element. In between dodging kidnappers, the advances of amorous Eric, and her growing feelings for Alcide, Sookie has to find out who kidnapped Bill and figure out a way to rescue him.

MY THOUGHTS

Well, as promised here is a review from one of the books I finished while here in Florida on vacation! I've already mentioned it, but Club Dead is my favorite of the Sookie Stackhouse books, so far. I'm not sure if that's because the writing and storyline have improved, though. I hate to admit it, but I think my preference for this book stems from the fact that I find Sookie and Bill's relationship annoying, but this time around he's hardly in the book at all. To be honest, I really wish that Sookie and Alcide had made a match of it, but I realize that's not where Harris is going with these books. And on top of that, I rather liked the fact that Eric was thrown into the mix more this time, too. For some reason, Bill's character just doesn't do much for me. I was also sorry that we didn't see as much of Sam and some of Sookie's co-workers in book 3, but certainly appreciated some of the new characters that were introduced.

I felt that this book was faster paced with more action and excitement than the first two. As mentioned, I liked that Harris shook things up with Sookie and Bill's relationship a little more. I also get a kick out of "Bubba" the vampire, who just so happens to be a famous singer that didn't really die, but was brought over.

4 stars

Other reviews of Club Dead:

35 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this series. I have to agree with you about Bill. I've never been a big fan of his and was glad to see the turn the series took in this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look of your blog! It's beautiful!! I'll pick this series up again next year. That should leave me enough space to recover...lol! ;)

    Great review! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another interesting cover and title!
    Haha "Bubba" the vampire, that's weird..vampires usually have really old-fashioned names :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this yet, but I plan to soon. I've heard that this is the best out of the first three, so I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh heh, I loved Bubba and his uh...love of cats...

    I was so mad at Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so they are eventually going to be apart for awhile in the series. He seems annoyed with her now in the show lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book, I definitely can't wait to get my hands on it to read it. I really like the cover of this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that the books seem to keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang, now seriously, why didn't I listen before already when I heard that Sookie was fun and a must-read? I won't ever be able to make up, but at least reading the books should help a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to read your review and not ruin any of the plot for myself (b/c I haven't read any of these books yet!), but I still did. I love the covers she has for her books and I hope the books keep getting better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very curious about Sookie and Bill's relationship and how it annoys you so. I think I might have to be sure to read these books just to see if I'm as annoyed as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I *love* Eric! And I'm also very amused by Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember Bubba, thank you. Thank you very much. I don't remember much else. It must have been a very long time since I read these. Or maybe it's just the shear number of books read since them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review-I'm glad to see the series picks up and gets better. I'm thinking of watching the TV series-have you watched it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love True Blood, so I am anxious to start reading the Southern Vampire Mysteries.

    Please enter me in your Sookie book giveaway:

    brightmyer249(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you keep reading, Sookie does eventually get a more interesting hook up, lol! I do like her with some of the other men she becomes involved with later in the series - as she grows as a character and as a woman who comes more into her own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it seems that you like these books more as you go along in the series. Sounds like an addiction waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charlaine Harris is a new author to me, thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sookie was a busy girl in this book! I liked most of the new characters too and the interesting twists in her love life. I haven't seen the TV show yet but I'm curious to see how it compares to the books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. After reading this review, I'm SURE I want to read this series of books. Thanks!

    megalon22[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This books seemed to of gotten better which is a good thing hopefully. Not liking the male lead or love interest can make it hard to enjoy the book. I like the covers because they look different to the standard paranormal at the moment.

    Seahn

    ReplyDelete
  22. this series is getting BETTER :) :)
    I wish to get it and thanks for the wonderful giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will definitely have to check out these books!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like the book gets better and better! Cant wait to start reading the series.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review, can't wait to start reading the series

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bubba does sound like a completely ridiculous name for a vampire, but these books are supposed to be a big quirky, so I suppose it fits.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm definitely interested in reading this series now after reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I need to get my hands on the book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm itching to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Reading that this book is faster paced and much more thrilling really makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. the book titles are so catchy

    Harris makes funny names, sookie and Bubba lol.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This series sounds really interesting... and apparently it gets better with each book, so I'll probably check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have to read and see if their relationship is really that annoying. Is writing really not that good?

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)