Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Sunday Salon (03.15.09): Week In Review

SundaySalon
Well, this week has certainly been another one that was far from normal for me. I spent Wednesday through Friday at home with the worst cold I've had in years, and it wasn't until yesterday that I finally started feeling better. The one positive that came from this? I was actually able to do more reading than normal. It's a shame I had to be sick for that to happen, isn't it? :-P

In case you missed them (or maybe you'd even like to revisit them!), here are links to my reviews this week:


I also just finished At Risk, by Patricia Cornwell, so I hope to have that review posted later today. I'm currently reading another Agatha Christie: Appointment With Death. That review will probably make it up tomorrow for Mystery Mondays. I'm also currently reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer but for some reason I've had a hard time getting into it after reading the first chapter or so. This week, I'm hoping to get through Club Dead, the third Sookie Stackhouse book, as well as The Hunger Games. I also need to get to work on reading another classic for the Classics Challenge; I'm thinking I might start on Treasure Island or The Woman In White. I'm really hoping to have another relatively productive week this time around, because the following week I'll be in Florida, both for vacation and for a trade show, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to devote to reading and reviews...

Other good (great!) news this week: I won my first blog award (yay!) and I won a contest!! Thanks again to Debbie (from Wrighty's Reads), who gave me the Proximidade Award. It truly means so much to know that there are people out there who enjoy my blog. It hasn't quite been a month since I started blogging and I'm amazed at all the new friends I've made in the book blogging community. You all rock!! And as for the contest, I won a bookmark set from Nymeth at Things Mean a Lot! I can't wait for it to arrive--I'm actually in desperate need of bookmarks and for the life of me I don't know what happened to the collection I used to have.

In other news, I am in the process of changing to a custom domain name: melissas-bookshelf.com. So, if any of my site links above or in my blog are not yet working, please bare with me! Thankfully, Blogger makes it easy by converting links automatically, etc., but I could take up to a full day for everything to be functional. Why did I decide to make the change? Well, I really want to make my blog special and invest in it a little. If I could make a living off of my blog, I would! It's that important to me. However, the reality is that I do have a full-time job, but my blog is my passion and I want it to be a place that other people love as well! So, over the next few weeks and months, you may see changes and tweaks to make my blog not only more appealing to the eye, but as user-friendly as possible, too!

4 comments:

  1. Not that I'm the horribly jealous type of person that feels awful to read you won an award after ONLY ONE MONTH AS A BLOGGER and who has been blogging for a year and has NEVER WON AN AWARD....Congratulations! :-) Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa...I am glad you are feeling better. You managed to get a lot of reading done. I can't always do that when I am sick. It seems like I have a hard time concentrating when I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how much reading you got done while you were sick! You are crazy awesome (= But I'm very happy to hear you're finally feeling better. I am really looking forward to your changes and I have to say it's so great to see someone so dedicated to their blog. I really enjoy reading what you have to say.

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Treasure Island for the classics challenge last year and I was surprised that it was so readable and fun! So yeah, definitely a good one to start with. I have a mental list for this year already...now I just need to get it posted :P

    I ended up not being able to make it to the post office last week to mail the bookmarks - so sorry! But I'm going tomorrow for sure. Just finished addressing all the envelopes, actually. So hopefully they'll reach you before long :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)