Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weekly Geeks: A Quote A Day - Georgette Heyer #5

WeeklyGeeksButton

The Grand Sophy was one of the last Heyer Regencies I came across, possibly the last. My mother had never read it, either, and we both enjoyed it tremendously. Sophy's many escapades are nothing short of amusing. Here we have a conversation between her and Charles Rivenhall that inevitably turns to the subject of his fiancee, Miss Eugenia Wraxton:

He said through shut teeth: "I think I told you once before, cousin, that we did very well here before you came to upset all our comfort!"

"Yes, you did, and what you meant, Charles, was that until I came no one dared to flout you. You should be grateful to me--or at any rate, Miss Wraxton should, for I am sure you would have made an odious husband before I came to stay with your Mama."

The Grand Sophy cover
This put him in mind of a complaint he could with justice make. He said stiffly: "Since you have brought up Miss Wraxton's name, I shall be much obliged to you, cousin, if you will refrain from telling my sisters that she has a face like a horse!"

"But Charles, no blame attaches to Miss Wraxton! She cannot help it, and that I assure you, I have always pointed out to your sisters!"

"I consider Miss Wraxton's countenance particularly well-bred!"

"Yes, indeed, but you have quite misunderstood the matter! I meant a particularly well-bred horse!"

How can you not have "fits of the giggles" after reading that?? :-)


1 comment:

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)