Wednesday, April 22, 2009

30-Question Bookish Meme

OK, I'm finally breaking down and doing this meme, though I really should be reading The Dawning of Power (it's really good so far), but I keep getting sidetracked by my Reader and Twitter... And the TV's on, which is always a distraction. But after this, I'll get back to reading!!

1. Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Well, I love hardbacks when I can get a good deal on them. There are certain authors and series that I collect in hardback. I have a bunch of the B&N Classics in Hardback, Mary Higgins Clark (thanks to Bargain books and used bookstores), Harry Potter... If I don't get a book in hardback, I prefer trade paperback when it's available.

2. Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Barnes & Noble! I used to work for the B&N College Bookstores (sister company to the stores you all know) and have been hooked on B&N ever since. I just prefer the atmosphere there, and I get lots of coupons with their membership.

3. Bookmark or dog-ear?
Lately I've been better about using bookmarks (or some kind of pieces of paper to serve as a bookmark). I never dog-ear books anymore, though sometimes I'll leave them open face down, which really isn't much better, I know...

4. Amazon or brick and mortar?
Both. Amazon frequently has great deals and I like to take advantage of their free shipping (and no sales tax. (Same with BN.com on the free shipping.) But I enjoy browsing bookstores on occasion, too--it's nice to be able to browse a bit before buying.

5. Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
I tend to alphabetize by author (and title within author) by genre (roughly).

6. Keep, throw away, or sell?
I usually keep (unless I hate it) and I NEVER throw books away. Books I don't like will either go to a used bookstore or I might run a giveaway on the blog if I feel other people would enjoy it.

7. Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Keep it! Often they have beautiful pictures and they do serve as added protection to the book.

8. Read with dust jacket or remove it?
I guess I usually end up reading with it, though if it starts bothering me I'll take it off.

9. Short story or novel?
Novel. I haven't had much luck with short stories.

10. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Harry Potter for sure! I've only read one Lemony Snicket and I didn't feel compelled to read another. It was OK but not as magical for me as HP was.

11. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I always try to stop at the end of a chapter, but if I'm falling asleep while reading I usually give up and just stop wherever I am in the book.

12. “It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
"It was a dark and stormy night." The first line of A Wrinkle In Time. I remember loving it when I found that out :-)

13. Buy or borrow?
I admit I like to buy. I'm working towards my own personal library.

14. New or used?
New is my preference, but I will buy some used--particularly hardcover.

15. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
By browsing or book reviews, usually--love these blogs, Amazon and BN.com for those reasons. I don't have too many friends/family who read like I do, so I can't count on recommendations (although I've gotten a couple from other book bloggers out there, and I always take those seriously).

16. Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
I guess it depends. In some respects I like cliffhangers if I know there's another book coming and I really loved the story. Otherwise I prefer a tidy ending with no loose ends.

17. Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
Anytime I can fit it in. I'd love to have more time to read in the morning when I'm fresh, but I usually find myself doing more reading in the evening before bedtime.

18. Stand-alone or series?
Doesn't matter. If I love the story and the characters then a series is nice.

19. Favorite series?
Guess that would be Harry Potter. :-)

20. Favorite children’s book?
I always liked the Berenstein Bears

21. Favorite YA book?
Tough one, not sure I could pick so I'm going to cop out and say there are too many to name.

22. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Well, I can only think of one that no one was familiar with, which I read recently - The Maidenstone Lighthouse. Oh, I had an epiphany while answering #27--The Oval Amulet by Lucy Cullyford Babbitt is another one that I like, though I'm not sure if it is very well-known.

23. Favorite books read last year?
Um, Confessor by Terry Goodkind, Several of the Shannara books by Terry Brooks.

24. Favorite books of all time?
I don't know, now I'm started to get annoyed by these questions. Probably anything by Georgette Heyer, more specifically These Old Shades, Regency Buck, Frederica, Devil's Cub, The Grand Sophy and Lady of Quality.

25. What are you reading right now?
I'm reading The Dawning of Power by Brian Rathbone. Well, that's what I SHOULD be reading but I'm typing up this stupid meme instead. ;-)

26. What are you reading next?
I don't know, I'm hoping to get A Passion Most Pure in the mail so I can start on that one :-) Otherwise I might read Need by Carrie Jones.

27. Favorite book to recommend to an eleven-year-old?
Maybe The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, I remember liking that one.

28. Favorite book to reread?
Georgette Heyer's books or the Harry Potter series.

29. Do you ever smell books?
Yes, I love the way a lot of older books smell. (And brand new books, too!)

30. Do you ever read Primary source documents, like diaries or letters?
Nope. (Finally, an easy question--for me--requiring practically no thought!

8 comments:

  1. You're right! That is how 'A Wrinkle in Time' starts! Since I read mostly fantasy I would've automatically answered 'Once upon a time...'! I never even considered that I guess some of my books start the other way and that does not mean they are horror novels. :)

    One of these days I might do this meme. I leave books open, too, which baffles my guy. I am pretty crazy about keeping my books perfect, so why I leave them open is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great meme! I love to smell books too! I have tagged you to participate in a personal meme ( you don't have to do it if you don't want too, no pressure!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at the B & N college bookstore at my university too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab meme - I am also trying to build my own library. I don't buy many hardbacks, unless I am desperate to read it. I get a lot of books from charity shops, but I only buy them if they are on my list and are in mint condition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANovelMenagerie ~ Thank you! :-)

    Kailana ~ I think I first discovered about a Wrinkle In Time's first line through a Baby-sitter's Club book, so I decided to read it and LOVED it!

    Scattie ~ I've seen that meme, I may do it at some point, reading through it I have a hard time coming up with 8's right now :-)

    Cupcakewitch ~ Which school?

    Scrap girl ~ It is amazing what you can find at charity stores sometimes. I keep an eye on ours, as well, but like you, I prefer mint condition (or as close to it as possible).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good answers...I love the way B&N feels too..just not the same in other bookstores..I love the smell of old and new books, that could be because I love books!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! What is it about us booklovers and smelling books? :) Seems like such a funny thing but I think most of us do it. I'm a B&N girl also, but Borders is closer. Can't wait until the new B&N is completed right down the street...I'll have to be dragged out of there.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)