Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday Finds (04.24.09)

FridayFinds

Friday Finds is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Here are four books that I added to my wishlist this week thanks to great reviews from great bloggers!! :-)

Poison Study coverFirst off, Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I saw this one on a couple of different blogs this week and decided it would be an intriguing read... Here's the synopsis from BN.com:

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooma in the palace--and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust--and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...

City of Bones coverThe next book on I added was City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I know I'm woefully behind the times on that one, but hopefully I'll get around to reading it soon. Here's the synopsis from BN.com:

Their hidden world is about to be revealed.... When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Bones of Faerie coverNext up we continue the bones theme with Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner. Apparently I'm on a real faery/fairy kick these days. Here's the synopsis from BN.com:

The war between humanity and Faerie devastated both sides. Or so 15-year-old Liza has been told. Nothing has been seen or heard from Faerie since, and Liza’s world bears the scars of its encounter with magic. Trees move with sinister intention, and the town Liza calls home is surrounded by a forest that threatens to harm all those who wander into it. Then Liza discovers she has the Faerie ability to see—into the past, into the future—and she has no choice but to flee her town. Liza’s quest will take her into Faerie and back again, and what she finds along the way may be the key to healing both worlds.

Janni Lee Simner’s first novel for young adults is a dark fairy-tale twist on apocalyptic fiction—as familiar as a nightmare, yet altogether unique.

The King's Rose coverAnd lastly we have The King's Rose by Alisa Libby. I have a personal interest in this one, as on my grandmother's side (my mother's mother) we are related to Catherine Howard. Again, here's the synopsis courtesy of BN.com:

Life in the court of King Henry VIII is a complex game. When fifteen-year-old Catherine Howard catches the king's eye, she quickly transforms from pawn to queen. But even luxury beyond imagination loses its luster as young Catherine finds her life-and her heart-threatened by the needs of an aging king and a family hungry for power. Will their agendas deliver Catherine to the same fate as her infamous cousin, Anne Boleyn-sacrificed at the altar of family ambition?

Engaging historical fiction with a throbbing YA heartbeat, this thrilling novel will draw readers into the intrigues and dangers of the Tudor court.

I hope all of you found some good reads this week, too!

13 comments:

  1. Bones of Faerie is really good and so is Poison Study.

    Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, thanks! Now my TBR list is 4 books longer. I really have to stop checking your blog until I get caught up on that list, cuz whenever I see what you're reading, I want it too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound great. Especially the last one, I love anything to do with the Tudors. Have you read the Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory, it's Catherine's story too.

    Thanks for the great recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh you will love love love City of Bones, it the beginning to a wonderful series and it is one of my very favorite reads.

    btw I would love to post my blog button on your blog :) great Idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. InsertBookTitle ~ Good to hear, just wish I had more time to get to them, lol :-) But at least they're on my list now!

    Penny ~ Well, you see my TBR list on my blog, lol. Just filter out my Friday Finds posts, haha! ;-)

    Alexa ~ Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't read that book. Another one to add to the list, lol!

    Ravenous Reader ~ I love your button!! And it's now in my sidebar, thanks so much for letting me know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved City of Bones - I really hope you do to. Bones of Faeries sounds like my kind of book. I am on the faerie kick too at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry Melissa, I'm behind the times with you. I have all of these on my TBR list and haven't even come close to starting them *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am reading City of Bones right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, Melissa, I commented using the wrong profile! Here's the comment again:

    I have Poison Study on my TBR pile, so I'm glad to hear from others that it's good! I also came across a great review of Bones of Faerie this week and nearly mentioned it in my FF post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to get City of Bones soon.. it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wooo, the cover on City of Bones looks tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, you've got my intrigue. Just added Bones of Faerie to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)