Wednesday, April 15, 2009

REVIEW: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely coverSeries: Wicked Lovely #1
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Fantasy
Pub Date: April 2008, HarperCollins
Format: Trade Paperback, 352 pages
Source/FTC Disclosure: I purchased my copy of this book. I was in no way compensated for this review and my opinions are my own.
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.
Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.
Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.
Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

MY THOUGHTS

First off, I have to say it's nice to be posting a review again! I haven't had as much time for reading as I would like over the last few days, but in the end I MADE time for Wicked Lovely...

I have to admit that before reading Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan a few weeks ago, I hadn't really read any books that were devoted to faery folklore. Actually, I'm not sure how devoted to the actual faery lore that book was, but I think Melissa Marr did an amazing job writing about faeries in Wicked Lovely. It's safe to say that I'm now a fan of faeries, whereas before I could take them or leave them. I decided to buy this book after I knew that Marr would be doing a book signing at a nearby Barnes & Noble at the end of the month. I wanted to see if it would be worth going to the signing to get the newest book in the series, so of course I had to at least read the first book. And, barring some unforeseen complication, on April 26th at 2:00pm you can bet I'll be in the crowd waiting to get my books signed!

One of my favorite aspects about this book was the quotes that Marr took from classic books about faerie folklore and used to open each chapter. You can really tell that she did her research before writing this story. Since I began reading this with little knowledge of the faery lore, I feel like I also learned a bit by reading this book. And don't we all like to learn something new? :-)

And best of all, I loved the characters. LOVED them. All of them. From the beginning I was swept into the story and the characters and I didn't want to put the book down. Aislinn and Seth just seemed so real and were very well-developed. Aislinn had natural moments of fear and doubt as her experiences with the faeries unfolded, yet she was also able to draw upon inner strength to face her fears and do what must be done; indeed, what was inevitable. I also enjoyed the romance between Aislinn and Seth--Marr portrayed their blossoming relationship so beautifully. I also liked Keenan, the Summer King, and Donia, the Winter Girl, from the very beginning. Marr simply did a wonderful job with ALL of the characters' personalities, interactions and behaviors, I can't say enough about that!

There was one thing I didn't particularly like, and I'll try not to give too much away here, but this will be a bit of a spoiler, it can't be helped... I thought the final scenes with Beira, the Winter Queen, were rather anti-climactic. However, I was mollified (well, actually quite pleased) as I read how it was all resolved. The whole storyline and the world Marr wrote about really were incredible. I cannot wait to read Ink Exchange and Fragile Eternity.

4 stars

Other reviews of Wicked Lovely:

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, and I'm glad you enjoyed Wicked Lovely too. :) Go read Ink Exchange, now now now!

    My review can be found here: http://nightstand.amynta.org/2009/03/wicked-lovely-by-melissa-marr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Melissa!
    I've read nothing but good reviews on this series so of course I've to add them onto my wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got something at my blog! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I must confess that I share your initial thoughts about fairy stories: I can take them or leave them (and usually leave them).

    However, I have read such great reviews of this book - including yours - that I have it on hold at the library. I think I am now 5th in line, so I should be reading it soon (although not in time for the read-a-thon weekend)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone!

    Nightstand--I linked your review, thanks!

    Liyana ~ Thank you so much, I love that award!

    Molly ~ I think the fact that these faeries aren't portrayed as little Tinkerbells is what helped. I have a whole new appreciation for faeries now :-) I'll look forward to your review when you finally get to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I really loved Wicked Lovely, it was great! Seth is pretty damn awesome! I look forward to seeing if your opinions of the characters change or not after Ink Exchange.

    I reviewed Wicked Lovely too, and will link to yours. Would you mind doing the same, please?

    http://jo-scrawls.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-wicked-lovely-by-melissa-marr.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to get a copy of this. I really enjoyed your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. It's always good when someone can say they loved the characters. To me if I'm drawn to the characters I like the book. I've read a few books on faery folklore and this one has been on my list a while. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Melissa! I am listening to this book now and I also really, really like it. I already have 'Ink Exchange' on hold that's how much i like Marr's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I'm only just reading the first chapter, and I like it. Wonder why some faeries are able to touch iron? Hmmm. When my review is up, I'll post it here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so so so so looking forward to reading this! In fact, part of me wants to start it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great story isn't it? Ink exchange's great too, same world diff king, but really dark and struggling. I hope you enjoy that one too.

    and i love the folklore. if you can believe it, Fragile eternity is even more entrenched in folklore.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)