Friday, April 3, 2009

My First "DNF"

OK, folks, it's sad but true. I have hit my first book of 2009 that I just could not finish: Threshold by Bonnie Kozek. I have to be honest with you, I couldn't even get past the first chapter. The language and constant crude sexual references were just a complete turn-off for me. I also didn't enjoy the writing style used, though it was obviously necessary since the main character, from whose perspective the book is written, would speak the way Kozek wrote. However, this was a review copy that I was sent from Author Marketing Experts, Inc., and I would like to try to pass it on to someone who might be interested in reviewing it. It does sound like it has the potential to be an interesting mystery/thriller read, just not for me.

Here's the synopsis:

Threshold coverHoney McGuinness hasn't weathered the storm of life; she's been chewed up and spit out by it. Although she hasn't exactly landed on her feet, she's a strong, enigmatic, and untamed creature--with more than enough juice to play with the big boys.

When a haunting past becomes to painful, she moves to Skid Row where she hopes to disappear among the forsaken and forgotten. Fut things don't work out like she hopes. And when she finds her friend Billy lying in a pool of blood with a tape recorder strapped to his waist, she is sucked right back into the slough.

To avenge Billy's murder, Honey risks it all. Her fearless pursuit of the killer thrusts her straight into the murky, seedy world of sex, drugs, and greed--a sinister and depraved world of panacea and obvlivion that holds particular seduction for a gal like Honey. In the final round, bloodied and defiled Honey hooks up with a big lug of a cop who's willing to lay down his life for hers--if both of them live that long.

Bawdy, gritty and unrelenting, Threshold pushes you to the edge of darkness... and beyond.

After re-reading that, I don't know what possessed me to accept a review copy of this book, because it doesn't sound like something I would pick up. But here is a link to BN.com where you can read other reviews. I will send this to the first person to comment that they want it--you must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible, and must also live in the US (sorry). Please leave an email or some other way of reaching you so that I can get your mailing address.

Thanks!!

12 comments:

  1. I posted this on Twitter. If I didn't have so many books in need of reviewing, I'd say raise my hand. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a chance to review this - it sounds interesting and I'm over 18.

    crystalfulcher@ec*dot*rr*dot*com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, J. Kaye, for tweeting...

    Crystal, I sent you an email so just let me know your info.

    Appreciate the help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, crude is not for me. But I do have an award for you Melissa. You can pick it up here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really struggle with letting go of a book to the point of declaring it DNF. I do it every now and again, but not often at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave it a try, and that's all that matters. Hopefully Crystal will enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is too short and there are too many great books out there to keep reading something that just isn't your thing. Hope your next pick is a good one Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I hope the next one is better! There are very very few books that I don't finish--or at least put down with the intention of never picking them back up. Luckily I've only had one this year. Too many other good books!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Melissa, I want to thank you for your honest non-review of my book, Threshold. The book is written in a very specific dark fiction/"noir" genre -- exemplified by authors like Jim Thompson. It's definitely off-kilter, and it's a genre I wanted to explore and experiment with ... very monosyllabic and stripped down. I hope it will find a reader who is familiar with the genre, so it will get a fair shot at a review. Thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knowing me and my weird personality I would probably be able to read this.

    And I have yet to come across a DNF. I suppose if I really had to I would put a book down but I really push myself to finsih books even if I don't like them.

    It was nice of you to offer it to someone else Melissa (=

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, thank you so much for being so understanding. I felt so badly when I knew the book wasn't for me and that I wouldn't be finishing it. It sounds like Crystal is pretty excited about it, though, and I look forward to reading her review of it. I appreciate you stopping by my blog, too!

    Mishel - you'll have to check out Crystal's review after she reads it. I saw several other positive reviews on BN/Amazon, so I know there are several people out there who really enjoyed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)